Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Breakfast anyone?

Hey! I wanted to share two of my little kitchen gadgets with you this morning.  Let me say that I am a gadget freak.  I love all the kitchen gadgets, photography gadgets, sewing gadgets......I love em' all!  These items I'll be speaking of today aren't gadgets per-say, but they are helpful little kitchen extras.
First of all, I never miss breakfast.  It IS indeed the most important meal of the day.  (Did you know I got my degree in Nutrition?  Seriously, I did) Plus, if you're like me and could stand to lose some extra pounds, it's the perfect start to your day because it gets your metabolism zooming. (And just because I got my degree in Nutrition doesn't mean that I'm a perfect eater.  Just sayin') That being said, I also like a good hearty breakfast.  Something that's gonna keep me full for a while. My homemade Egg Muffins are the perfect answer.  They're quick, easy, packed with protein, filling, and I can even take it on the go for those extra busy days.
You will need an "egg muffin maker".  OK, I don't know what it's officially called, but it allows you to cook your egg in the microwave and it turns out the perfect size to fit onto your muffin.  I got mine at Walmart years ago. I think it was around $5.
Ingredients:

  • English muffin (or you can just use regular bread)
  • Sliced or shredded cheese ( I buy it by the block, so I just cut a few slivers)
  • Morningstar sausage (Veggie sausage patties. Only 80 cal and packs in 10g of protein per pattie)
  • 1 Egg
  • salt/pepper to taste
Here we go!

Here it is.  Gadget #1. It's small, takes up no space at all, and easy to clean.  I actually keep mine in the microwave because I use it pretty much every day.  If you go looking for one, you'll find it where the "microwave safe" plastics are in the kitchen section.  Same place they have those plastic trays with the grooves for cooking bacon in the microwave.  
Although, I eat turkey bacon and just put it on a paper plate with a paper towel on top.  Works great.  Anyway!




I made a side note to spray it with cooking spray before dropping your egg in there.  It's not a must, but it will be much easier to clean when you're done.







Now you just whip it up with a fork.  




Before microwaving you can add salt/pepper if you want.  Sometimes I chop up some ham and put the bits in along with a little shredded cheese.  Just depends on what you have on hand.


Now stick it in the microwave and cook for 1 minute.  beep.....beep.....beep....beep.  (that's my microwave telling me that it's done)  And there you have it!  a perfectly cooked, perfectly sized scrambled egg.



So before I put my egg in the microwave I go ahead and put my English muffin in the toaster.  When it pops up I like to spread a little butter on them.  Now, I'm not a fan of the fake butter because it's, well, uhm,.....fake.  It's like eating plastic.  I prefer the real thing.  It's not like you're sitting there eating sticks of it. (which by the way, if you are...you need to put the stick down and go talk to someone.  really.  that's not good for you at all) In moderation folks!  Only problem is that you can't get spreadable REAL butter.  I know the container says spreadable, but it's not.  It's still hard as a rock.  It's just the nature of the beast.  Enter gadget #2, the Butter Crock.  I love it.  Its what they used to use back in the day to keep their butter out on the counter and spreadable.  The top is actually an upside down bowl.  It will hold 1 1/2 stick of butter.  I just put a stick on the counter to soften and in about an hour or so I use my butter knife to put it into the top bowl and push it against the sides.  The bottom bowl is where you put a little cold water.  This is what keeps the butter fresh at room temperature while also sealing it.  The butter never goes bad.  You just have to switch out the water with new fresh cold water every 3-5 days.  I'm in the habit of putting fresh water pretty much every other day.  I use it all the time, so it's easy to remember.  It is also small and takes up no space.  See it just sitting there next to the toaster.  These Butter Crocks are a little harder to come by.  I don't think I've ever seen them at places like Walmart or Target.  You can definitely find them online.  We have a Williams-Sonoma in town and that's where I got mine.  They don't have this red one anymore, but they do still carry one.  I think it's blue and the style is a little bit different.  Same concept though.  So if you're like me and you prefer real butter and like to be able to spread it onto your bread with ease, this is perfect.  Let me warn you though, it's a little pricey.  BUT!  It works great and I will never need to replace it.  Ever!  OK, unless someone breaks it. Where in that case, I'll just have a lovely new blue Butter Crock sitting on my counter. 

Oh!  I forgot to mention that after the egg is done, I put the frozen sausage patty in the microwave for 30 sec. If you're not fond of veggie food, you should at least consider these Morningstar breakfast patties.  They are sooooo good.  You wouldn't even know that it's not real meat.  Seriously.  I've had some other brand of veggie breakfast sausages and they taste kind of pasty.  Not this one.  Nuh-uh.  
OK, so within 3 minutes, everything is done, including my coffee.  I put all the food together to make a little sandwich and there  you go!  Healthy, hearty, ready-to-tackle-the-day breakfast!

Speaking of cooking eggs in the microwave.  Did you know that you can drop your egg into a coffee mug and cook it in the microwave?  Yup!  Follow the same steps, except use a coffee mug instead of gadget #1. OR you can make your own little scrambled on-the-go omelet.  Chop up some ham, throw in a little cheese, maybe even some tomato, onion, whatever you like.  Whisk it all up in the mug, microwave for 1 min and breakfast is served!  If you're feeling a little spicy (which I always am) then put a few dollops of salsa on top after it's done.  Grab your fork and eat up!

Happy Tuesday!  

No comments:

Post a Comment